This I believe is the best ever mince pie recipe, it's based on this BBC Good Food recipe and the comments from people who have contributed.
225g butter - diced
350g plain flour
100g golden caster sugar
jar of mincemeat - more if you want them well filled
1 egg - beaten
icing sugar to dust - optional
- Light the oven - 200c or gas mark 6 or fan 180c
- Rub the butter into the flour then mix in the sugar
- Add a generous half of the beaten egg (the remainder is for brushing the tops of your pies)
- Bring it all together into a dough, it will be easy to handle and will stick together without being too stickly,
- You can use it straight away or chill it if you prefer to use it later, it does freeze well too.
- You do not need to grease your mince pie tins so you are ready to roll out your pastry, because this has such a high fat content you need to do this between two sheets of cling film.
- I don't measure the depth of the pastry before I cut it out I just go by feel, and this can be rolled very thin, you will know your own family preference.
- Cut out the base circles and place in your tins
- Add a spoonful of mincemeat (you can be as generous as your mincemeat stocks permit!)
- Cut out you pastry lids and press gently into place to form a seal.
- Brush the finished pies with beaten egg
- Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes
- Leave in the tin for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving (Optional - I don't usually remember)
This pastry is very forgiving and copes quite well with being re-formed a few times.
Try not to spill any mincemeat on the tray it's a right pain to get off!
The original recipe doesn't use the egg and the pastry is more like a shortbread so behaves quite differently, why not try both versions and see which you prefer
These pies are never going to win any beauty competitions but they are the tastiest, I have tested them on family, friends and work colleagues and everyone loves them.
They are delicious on their own but also work very well with vanilla ice cream
I apologies for any adverse effect this recipe may have on your waistline! and please note that I am not a cookery expert so follow this with caution!!
Chocolate free Advent day today, probably just as well when there are mince pies around!! but not joke free :)
"What do you get when you cross a bell with a skunk?"
Oh what a stinker!!
Let me know how you get on with the mince pie recipe or if you have one that is even better please share.