I was thrilled with the dogwood wreath I made last year so it was a no brainer to include it in my list of things to do this year. Of course I need to change it up a bit from last time when I kept it very stark with only a grey linen ribbon and a few clay ornaments.
This year I am looking to hide the dogwood away with a wealth of foliage that I have collected from mine and my daughter's gardens. I had intended to use plenty of holly as we are planning some changes to the bottom part of the garden and this involves removing a much loved holly tree, it came from my Mum's garden as a little twig of a thing and seemed to struggle for a while before picking up and growing into a fine healthy specimen. I had hoped to have uprooted it and replanted it at my daughters as she has a fairly large garden, however there are many holly trees already established and plenty of self seeded saplings so we will need to have a little think about what to do with it.
The Dogwood base was made by creating a circle with one stem and securing it with some wire. More strands were woven in to give it some substance.
I then bound on the base foliage using florists wire and followed this up with bunches of foliage and flowers that were also bound on with the wire. I had a few false starts before I got it where I wanted to to be so my advice would be to play around and learn what works best for you.
The final arrangement is now hanging on my front door and I am hoping it will not fall to pieces all over the postie!
I made a second wreath for my daughter and tried to give it a more modern look with a bit of tinsel and a few baubles. This hides that I was running short of the base foliage and the tinsel was a bit of improvisation to fill in some of the gaps.
I had a lovely but very cold morning exploring this new craft. I don't think the local florist has anything to worry about but I shall be making wreaths again next year.
Make 43 completed from my 50 makes for Christmas challenge with just 7 more posts left to completion.