Tuesday 23 June 2015

..... Red spot and blue check - New look 6035

I was a very busy bee before my holidays, I wanted to make a sleeveless top to take with me, this was in my sewing wardrobe plan and I had allowed for this when I was working out what clothes to take with me.

http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/
Red spot and Blue check


My initial idea was to make the famous Collette Sorbetto top, this a free to download pattern and has been around for a few years so there are plenty of examples out there in internetland, Pinterest is a rich source of reference. People have got very creative with the basic pattern and made some amazing additions and alterations but I was content to just go with the basic model. It was my first downloadable pattern and I must confess that I approached this process with trepidation, however, it was far easier than I had expected and I would have no hesitation to purchase downloadable patterns in the future. I cut it out in the red spotted fabric I brought from Abakhan fabrics a few weeks ago, and did a quick pin and try but I wasn't happy with the fit, I think a full bust adjust is probably needed so I have put it to one side for now. This top calls for bias binding so I had indulged in the necessary kit to make my own so I will have to find another excuse to have a play with that.



http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/
Colette Sorbetto download


In my pattern stash I have New Look 6035, I brought this pattern after seeing it on the Great British Sewing Bee, it was used by Lauren of guthrie & ghani  .  The downside of this pattern for me is that the largest size is a 16 and I think an 18 is the right size for me, I have made the skirt from this pattern last summer and just added a bit a couple of centimeters  to it when I cut it out and adjusted the seams allowance to get the right fit.  With the top I cut out the size 16 and sewed a 1cm seam rather than 1.5cm  giving me a little more room. There are no fastenings on this so it is really straightforward, gather the neck at the front, sew the shoulder and side seams, finish the hem and the small splits at the side, the neck and arm openings are self bound.



http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/
Red Spot New Look 6035


I used the remaining red spotted fabric as I just love this fabric and I am disappointed that the photographs haven't quite captured the true colour.  I could have completed it in a day if I hadn't been distracted by the family and my need for tea!   It reminds me of a top my Mum had when I was a kid in the 60's but hers was made in seersucker and as I have some blue checked seersucker in my fabric bag it seemed rude not to give it a go.  This time I was sewing after work and it took me just three nights to complete, I think the fit on this top is slightly better than the red spot which I put down to the seersucker being a little softer.  It is my first time working with seersucker and I would definitely  be happy to use it again, however, I would use pinking shears as the fabric is slightly more prone to fraying than the poplin I used.


https://www.pinterest.com/sgilbert59/sew-and-sew/
1967 catalog model



The simplicity of this pattern and the speed which I was able to complete it makes this perfect for a novice sewer like myself, it has given me a bit of confidence that I can produce wearable garments in a timely manner.  Admittedly the fit isn't 100% perfect but I wore the blue top to work a couple of days before I broke up and got a couple of compliments from my colleagues and both were worn on holiday with pride.  I just need some warm weather and I will be wearing them again.


So which do you prefer the look of Red Spot or Blue Check?





4 comments:

  1. Difficult question, both colours suit your complexion. Holidays always inspire sewing to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might wear the red spot to work tomorrow with a pair of navy trousers, see if I can't tempt the sun out

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous tops. I've fancied making a sorbetto top for a while too but been a bit scared with the printable patten! Glad you've said it was easier than you thought.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, the key thing is when you print it to make sure you have your printer setting to 100% and check the test square actually measure 4 inches all the way round then you know that the sizing is right. It is easy to assemble you just match up the corresponding alpha/numeric id eg B4 on one page goes to B4 on another so you tape those two together then pick up then next id code and find the matching piece of paper etc I would say just download it and have a look, it costs you nothing, you don't even have to print it out if you don't like the look of it.

      Delete